Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Raining in My Kitchen

We had a wild and woolly rain storm last night - the wind was howling worse than I have every heard it before. As I was getting ready to go to bed I heard something that sounded very unusual - was it raining in my kitchen? Sure enough, when I when in there water was pouring down through 4 different places in the ceiling. I got out all the pots and towels I could find, and when we looked out the front window we saw the problem - shingles littered the front lawn. This morning it didn't look so bad - seems to be isolated to just one part of the roof. Hope so, because it is raining again today. On the upside - the rain has cleared off all of the ice from the front walk and driveway and we can actually walk on it now.



I finished another shawl - not quite sure what I'm going to do with this one. It's knit with some hand dyed yarn I received in a swap - it's from Fat Bottom Girl politically incorrect fibers and yarns and is spun from silk and merino in a fingering weight. It's the "Foulard" scarf from Moorehouse Farms Merino knits. There is also a pattern for a case to put it in so you can carry it with you for those cool days when you just need a little something, or put it on your head on a windy day.

On the bookshelf - I'm finishing up my second Nelson DeMille novel - this one is Plum Island. His novels are full of fun historical facts and I can't wait to see how this one comes out. His hero is a chauvanistic pig - but does turn out to be a softy when it comes right down to it. Next, I have another Southern Sister's novel - Murder on a Girl's Night Out by Anne George which will be a quick, fun, light read. Also still listening to Jame's Patterson's Honeymoon. Sometimes it gets confusing listening to one book and reading another! But I can knit while I listen and can't usually do that while I'm reading.

5 comments:

Paula C. said...

The shawl is very beautiful! I love how vibrant the colors are.

Anonymous said...

Boy didn't the wind howl! But today looks like a good morning to fix a roof...have you got someone to come in and take care of things?

Unknown said...

Raining in your kitchen . . . could be a country/western song! It once rained in our bedroom, of course, it was at night when my husband worked nights.

I am so sorry. Hopefully, you didn't end up with a lot of damage.

SimplyMe said...

Beautiful shawl......and why IS it that rain insists on coming in where it isn't welcome???

Joyce said...

Rain, rain, go away . . . were you able to get the roof fixed?

The shawl is beautiful. I love the colors, and lately I especially love the look of garter stitch.