Sunday, March 08, 2009

Spring Ahead

Daylight savings time begins today and spring is in the air this weekend, in spite of the snow still on the ground. We've had weather in the 40s, and sunny skies. To celebrate I knit this springy hat. True, it's being modeled by a snowman, and he really needs to be put away, but he's so cute I'll probably let him stick around awhile - at least until the snow melts! The hat will be gifted to our school secretary who is expecting her first baby in April. It's made with sock yarn (I think it's Lion Brand). The pattern is a Ravelry pattern called Baby Beanie and was really fun to knit. What was not fun to knit was the baby sock I tried for two hours this morning to figure out. I've been wanting to try toe-up socks and thought this would be an easy way - NOT. After 5 tries I did figure out the cast on and it was going great until I got to the heel. I have no problem turning a heel on a top down sock - but going the other way with all the wrap & turns drove me crazy and to the frog pond the sock went.
I think I'll make booties instead.

5 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

I think the snowman makes a great all tear round model. And AMEN sister on the socks, I can't get it either. maybe you need to come here and together we can figure it out, wanna take a drive to NY?

Yarn Devil said...

Love the hat! Sorry to hear about the sock, as socks seem to stay on better... but a well ribbed bootie is wonderful too!

Unknown said...

Great Hat!! I'll have to start working on the toe up . . . maybe I'll finish a sock.

LDSVenus said...

Very cute hat, I know it will be loved. I like the snowman too, if only snow wasn't so cold :P. The only socks I've knit are tube socks, hehe, no heel to turn ;P.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Awww the hat is so pretty.
I'm following you hope thats okay;)(((((Hugs))))) Darcy