Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hot, but not too hot to knit!


A couple of weeks ago Maine Fiberarts sponsered a tour of fiberarts studios in Maine. There were only a couple on the list that were within 60 miles of my house, but I did make it to a couple of them. One was Fiberphelia, in Orono, ME. It's a great little yarn shop, with a very friendly owner and a large room for knitters to sit and knit and chat. I spent about an hour there and came out with two balls of Wooly
Silk yarn by Elsebeth Lavold that I knew had to become another Smoke Ring (I think everyone will be getting these for Christmas this year). Love the simple lace pattern and the yarn was great to work with. I even have enough left to make a skinny scarf - maybe beaded? There was also a 40% off shelf where I found Jojoland Rhythm in a pretty green/blue/pink. I haven't decided what it will become yet. The other studio I visited was Essentially Felt in Old Town, Maine, where the artist (and she definitely is an artist!), Sandy Spiller, showed me her beaufiful felted slippers, hats, ruanas, and felted silk scarves. She is going to give a class on the scarves in October which I am hoping to take.


Although it is way too hot to be thinking about cowls, I've had this hand spun & dyed wool/bunny blend yarn since last summer when I bought it at the Fiber College weekend in Searsport, Me. It really is as soft as the bunny it came from!
I found this pattern for a Chevron Lace Gaiter while browsing through my knitting magazines (Creative Knitting Nov. 2008.)

3 comments:

Grace said...

gorgeous knitting And a purple theme going on????

danielle said...

Love the Smoke Ring - beautiful knitting and very flattering!

Joyce said...

Wow, they're lovely! Are they both the same pattern? I'm amazed at how much knitting you finish. It's so nice to be inspired by what you make!