Sunday, February 26, 2006

Fiber Arts Festival



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My grandchildren are back from Disney with lots of stories to tell!

On Saturday I went to a Fiber Arts Fair at the Bangor Library. (I had never been there before - what a great library!) It was worth the trip up. There were not too many booths, but some very interesting ones. There was one on wet felting, which I really want to try. At another, Bob and Amy Nichols from Artfelt Creations in Brooks, ME, did needle felting. Bob makes really incredible needle felted sculptures - one was a sculpture of a man that was about three feet tall! The faces he sculpts are really amazing. There were a couple of spinners - one from purplefleece.com in Stockton Springs. I love watching people spin wool - it's mesmerizing! Another booth had fabric crocheted baskets and rugs - made from strips of fabric - also very interesting.
Today I tried felting some soap - that's right felting soap! You use carded wool that has not been spun into yarn yet, and you wrap it around the soap, then rub, rub, rub, until it felts and makes sort of a cocoon around the soap. You use it in the shower as sort of a combined wash clothe and soap. It is drying now - I'll post a picture when it is done.
I'm also still working on my project to use up leftover yarn (so I can buy more of course). I made a mini-tote bag today, which put a dent in the stash. I added some fun fur and ladder yarn to the wool - can't wait to felt it and see how it comes out.
Also finished up a LB Trellis triangle scarf for a special friend.
And....my grandchilden are back from Disney with lots of stories to tell:

No comments: